The American University of Armenia (AUA) is known for its enthusiastic and dedicated alumni network. A vast number of the University’s alumni have gained unique distinction through success in their professions, support to the University, and service to their communities.
AUA along with the Alumni Association established the Distinguished Alumni Award nomination and selection procedure to honor outstanding alumni and celebrate their achievements. These alumni serve as motivation for current students, encourage graduates to re-connect with their alma mater, and bring pride to the community.
Purpose of Award
The purpose of the Distinguished Alumni Award is to recognize the University’s alumni who have made significant contributions to society, and whose accomplishments, affiliations, and careers have honored the legacy of excellence at the University.
Guidelines for Nominations
Nominations and letters of support for a Distinguished Alumni Award may be submitted by any individual or group excluding noted exceptions below:
- Any representative of the Office of Alumni Relations,
- The AUA President and members of the Executive Team (Provost and Vice Presidents)
Method of Nomination
- In addition to completing and submitting the Award Nomination Form, nominators are encouraged to provide supporting items that further distinguish the nominee. Such items include, but are not limited to:
- Letters of support written by the nominator and other supporters of the nomination
- Current biography or curriculum vitae of the individual
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Personal stories
- Award or certificates of achievement
- Other items of interest
- One nomination per individual will be considered.
- Nomination forms will be held for each individual for a period of three years. If an individual is not selected for the award, his or her Award Nomination Form may be updated and renewed by the original or other appropriate nominator for consideration in a subsequent year. The Office of Alumni Relations will contact nominators for annual renewals.
- No limitation will be placed on the total number of nominations accepted for consideration.
- Nominees must have graduated from AUA.
- The name of the nominator will not be disclosed.
Method of Selection
The following guidelines will be used for the Award Recipient Selection:
- A Selection Committee consisting of alumni, faculty and staff will be appointed by the AUA President each year.
- The Office of Alumni Relations will collect submitted nominations which will be reviewed and validated.
- The Office of Alumni Relations will submit the nominations to the Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee will present up to five Distinguished Alumni Award candidates for final vote to all AUA alumni. Only one candidate will receive the Distinguished Alumni Award.
The following criteria will be considered:
- The candidate has exhibited extraordinary success in his/her career since graduating from AUA,
- The candidate has demonstrated a commitment through outstanding continuous volunteer service, and/or participation and leadership in public service on a local, state, national, or international level,
- The candidate has a distinguished record of service to and support of the University.